Spouse

Gert Jan Gast gjgast at nioz.nl
Fri Feb 2 03:50:45 EST 1996

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu wrote:
>Especially if he is the one interviewing and helps
>get you a position....how do you deal with the possible impression that he/she
>"got" you your position? Vice versa....if you are the one who gets the "main"
>position does he feel that people think he just got the job because they
>wanted you so badly?
>Jen

People will allways gossip. So what? It's just wonderfull if both
partners can have a job in their field AND live together in the
same place. It's hard enough to find a job anyway. By not taking
a job because of what people might say you do not do yourself a
favour. If both do their job well that will be recognised and I
guess that most of the gossip will die out in time. The general
attitude in science seems to be that we should place our
job(possibilities) above our partners. I refuse that because
there's more to life than doing research. If that leads to some
of the talking you describe, so be it.

Cheers, GJ.

Gert Jan Gast,
Department of Marine Ecology
Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
P.O. Box 59, 1790 AB Den Burg, The Netherlands.
Phone: 31 (0)222 369573. Fax: 31 (0)222 319674.
E-mail: gjgast at NIOZ.NL