Spouse

SLForsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Fri Feb 2 10:30:15 EST 1996

jcoleman at msvax.mssm.edu wrote:
>All this talk about when to mention that your spouse is also a scientist and
>a position for them would be optimal for taking a position. I am wondering
>how women scientists whose spouse also work in their university or even
>department feel about this? Especially if he is the one interviewing and helps
>get you a position....how do you deal with the possible impression that he/she
>"got" you your position? Vice versa....if you are the one who gets the "main"
>position does he feel that people think he just got the job because they
>wanted you so badly? My spouse is not in science, but I have seen several
>academic couples who work at the same institution, and usually one or the other
>was the "recruited" and the other partner was found a position...one
>I know of shared a position...as something mentioned earlier. I also thought
>that this situtation would be very bad for a woman scientist...enforcing the
>*oops* this editor sucks ...sorry....enforcing the stereotype that women
>need help. I don't know if Iam being clear but any comments?

Certainly I think the perception that "she got a job because of him"
is common for an earlier generation of women scientists.  Often they
got "lesser" positions:  adjunct, or special titles, which tended to
stress that they got in because of their spouse.  Part of that
reflects the difficulty women had getting positions on their own in
earlier times not because they weren't good.

I think that is less prevalent now, although there will always be
some dinosaurs who think "she got a job because of him."  But let's
face it, I know there are dinosaurs (often young ones) who think that
ANY woman with a position got it because she's a woman, not because
she's qualified.

There are a lot of scientific couples, often at the same institution,
where it is clear they are both good scientists.  So I hope the
stereotype is dying out.

susan