Spouse

Beth Shuster eoshuster at UCDAVIS.EDU
Fri Feb 2 14:42:29 EST 1996

On Fri, 2 Feb 1996 15:29:32 GMT, rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov (Rachelle J.
Bienstock) wrote:

...snip...
>  That is why I think it is in
>your best interest to NOT mention anything about your
>spouse until you are at least invited for an interview.
...snip...
>You should never give an employer the opportunity to second
>guess you though- i.e. "she won't accept a job here because of
>her spouse" (how do they know that maybe your spouse wants to
>change careers, quit their job, or is willing to have a long-distance
>relationship- these are your choices..)

  I have seen several cases (from the days when I still sat on search
committees) where the candidate did NOT mention a spouse, but when one or
more on the committee knew of the situation.  Unfortunately, this led to
number
of conversations of just the type you mention.  We should all remember that
science is really a "small" world, and that sometimes people have more to
gain by being up front.  A candidate who mentions that s/he has a spouse
who is willing to relocate (at whatever point in the process), is more
likely to short-circuit this type of speculation than one who
unsuccessfully tries to disguise the situation.

  I do agree that it is debatable whether it is best to acknowledge the
situation at the time of the original application or to wait until one has
made the interview list.  There are good points to be found on both sides!

Just my opinion.

Beth

Beth Shuster
Univ. of California, Davis