managing people -experience the key

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at CCO.CALTECH.EDU
Sat Feb 3 03:27:39 EST 1996

Bart,

I completely agree with what you say here, and I also agree that it is a
shame when talented young women don't go on in science.  What I was
reacting to (and it was a bit of an overreaction, for which I am sorry)
was something that I see every now and then that bugs me, which is
whenever a difference is found between the way men look at things and the
way women look at things, it seems that the women are supposed to change
and think more like the men.  In this case I found it somewhat silly that
more than half of the people believed they were "above average"--they
all can't be right.  More than half of drivers believe they are "above
average" drivers, too, and look at some of the clowns we have on the
road.
	I find the criterion of "average" to be somewhat misleading; in
fact, the "average" scientist in the US at least (and no doubt in other
countries, as well, but I only have experience in the US) is quite good:
hard-working, committed, dedicated, intelligent, etc.  It's already a
higly selected group.  Is it really constructive to encourage even more
competition and measuring of one's worth against that of one's peers?  Is
it constructive to get more women thinking that what's important is to be
"above average" whatever that means?  If everybody is "above average"
then the whole concept is kind of meaningless, isn't it?
	I think the study alluded to in the original posting pointed up
some very important issues about women's attitudes towards themselves
and science, and I'm sorry if what I wrote sounded as if
I was belittling them.  I was just wondering if maybe the questions
used in the study couldn't have been designed better.

Karen