Spouse

Jennifer L. Potter jras at post.its.mcw.edu
Mon Feb 5 13:03:17 EST 1996

Hi all,

I have really been enjoying this thread, because I will be in the same
situation in 1999 when my husband graduates with his MD/PhD and we need
to find him a residency and myself a faculty position (or, post-doc #2).

I would like to share the experience of a woman here:  She received a
position here as a tenure-track professor (in a dept where she was the
only woman prof) but didn't have a great start-up package...she struggled
with what she had (and noticed that others in similar positions had
received more) and is today a full prof and quite an asset to the dept.

She said that she asked the Chair why she didn't get space, equipment,
etc.  He replied that no one thought she would be at the institution long
because she was "following her husband (an MD) and might not be around
long".  The truth was just the opposite...her husband took a less than
optimal position so *she* could take this position.

The moral of the story might be that being up front is not always a bad
thing, although I don't know the specifics of her interviewing process.

Another lesson, one which she emphasized, was to really bargain for the
best start-up package you can get instead of being thankful for what you
are given.