Getting Heard, get on with it

Bart Janssen bjanssen at bio.tamu.edu
Tue Feb 6 10:22:50 EST 1996

In article <4f3qns$395 at oznet07.ozemail.com.au>, Lesley McKeown
<mckeownl at voyager.co.nz> wrote:

> Having read a number of experiences over this past week, I have come to
> the conclsuion that there are simply some people that exude a presence by
> which they demand to be heard. Maybe things are different here (I think
> they must be after all NZ women were first to demand AND get the vote!!)
> Some women get heard and some get ignored. I am still referred to by some
> diparaging names but I am not ignored. Plus, a good, filthy glare helps
> sometimes.

Hi Lesley

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I am an NZ scientist currently in the US
on leave (Texas).  I have seen exactly the problem being described in this
thread occur several times during meetings and discussions in New
Zealand.  Granted Texas seems to be worse (from my fairly limited
experience) but it definitely happens in NZ as well.  It seems obvious
that there are some workplaces that are better than others but NZ isn't as
sqeaky clean as I'd like to believe.

cheers
Bart