high heel requirement at work?

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Wed Feb 7 16:28:45 EST 1996

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Bart Janssen wrote:

> In article <4f3qvp$395 at oznet07.ozemail.com.au>, Lesley McKeown
> <mckeownl at voyager.co.nz> wrote:
>

> > Nothing wrong with a dress code - a guy is expeced to wear a tie - at
> > least you can slip your shoes off under the boardroom table - better than
> > being choked by some fashionable noose! Besides, at 5'2", thank god for
> > high heels, otherwise I'd be staring at my colleagues' ties!!
> >
> > Lesley McKeown.
> > PS - don't forget the Neatfeet.
>
> Hi there
> Actually, from personal observation I'd say there was an anti-high heel
> (and anti make up) dress code for women in science.  From what I've seen
> women who "dress up" for lab work are looked down on.  I'm not sure why, I
> suspect it's something along the lines of "if she's so concerned about her
> appearance she can't be a good scientist".
>
> Anyone else notice anything like this??
>
> cheers
> Bart
> PS Sorry for picking on your posts Lesley :)
> PPS  Never have worn a tie never will!

Hi all,
I noticed this when I started grad school as well, being one of thw"non
serious" ones who "dressed up". I found that as I went along in my
graduate career it became hard to find the time to do laundary and eat
properly, much less worry about make-up in the morning. Those extra ten
or twenty minutes of sleep suddenly became much more valuable.

As far as the reason being that women who do dress up (and I know one or
two who do) being suspected as being less serious, I found that at least
at the university I attended _any_ excuse to find women less serious was
used against us. (In my case it was that I dared to take dance classes
and swim- disregarding the fact that the  guys took about two hours off
every lunchtime to play basketball).

Just a thought,
Linnea