dressing down?

Joy Frestedt frest001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Feb 7 09:46:23 EST 1996

OK I'll bite...

"they just like this woman to look like a woman."

Just what do we like a woman to look like?  I hope Sabine and
others of us will think about what Sabine has written and reconsider her
opinion of what happened and is happening to her.

Thanks for the thought provoking descriptions Sabine.  I'm intrigued.

Joy
----- Forwarded message begins here -----
From: Sabine Dippel  <sabine at hlrz24.zam.kfa-juelich.de>
To: womenbio at net.bio.net
Date: 7 Feb 1996 09:49:06 GMT
Subject: Re: women scientists dressing down
Bart Janssen wrote:

>Actually, from personal observation I'd say there was an anti-high heel
>(and anti make up) dress code for women in science.  From what I've seen
>women who "dress up" for lab work are looked down on.  I'm not sure why, I
>suspect it's something along the lines of "if she's so concerned about her
>appearance she can't be a good scientist".
>
>Anyone else notice anything like this?

Actually, in the places I worked in so far (not too many) nobody ever seemed
to confuse clothes and scientific ability. I like to wear both jeans, sweaters
and T-shirts, as well as sometimes wear a dress or skirt. Though people react
to the latter (as it is more seldom, at least in winter - in summer I wear
dresses a lot) by usually asking why I don't wear it more often (or sometimes,
which is annoying, ask what's the special occasion). But they don't take
me the less serious because I care about clothes.

However, the reason might be that they are just so happy to see a woman
at work (besides the secretary - I usually was the only woman in the group -
just like at present again) and not only sloppily dressed males that they
just like this woman to look like a woman.

Sometimes maybe we just worry too much. I had sworn to myself never to wear
anything else but neat jeans and at most a blazer for exams (all important
exams in my universities were oral), but then at the really important final
one, the weather got so hot that I decided I would just die in jeans, did not
have any other pants I could wear, and so I put on the most decent dress I had
(which still showed a lot of my legs). It did not affect the exam at all,
in either direction, the level of the questions as well as the grades were
perfectly justified - nothing out of the ordinary, although I later got to
hear that one of the profs remembered me even one year later because of the
dress - usually he forgets about people immediately. Funny enough - when he
first met me again wearing jeans and an onld sweater, he did not recognize me
at first - but he is known as one of the few men who really remember what
people wear at certain occasions - more than their faces.

Just my two cents,

Sabine
---------
Sabine Dippel,