women scientists dressing down

Celeste Moore celestem at protein.bchs.uh.edu
Thu Feb 8 12:13:34 EST 1996

I have to agree with Dianna! People really do notice what you wear. For my oral
exams I was very careful to wear running shoes jeans, and an old sweatshirt,
and just for affect a ponytail. And many times during student seminars, when
new students decide to dress up to present( men and women), they are treated
much worse than those who dress down.  I think nice clothes are like wearing a
bulls eye!!!  I have chosen to handle this by dressing down when I am
presenting or in any position that could be critical. On the other hand I
choose to dress nicely on a day to day basis, once people bacame accustomed to
that, they hardly notice anymore, and I don't care if they do.

Celeste