What would you have done?

DAWN C. GORDON I7BF at UNB.CA
Fri Feb 9 15:24:43 EST 1996

HI!  This happened to me 4 years ago.  At the moment it happened, I
thought nothing of it; soon afterward, when I told some girlfriends
of mine, it "hit the fan".
     The situation was an interview for a major Canadian graduate
scholarship.  I sat through a 20 minute interview, answering
questions about research interests, etc.  There was a panel of
interviewers (1 or 2 women); one man played the "tough" role.
Anyway, near the end of the interview were the following three
questions from the said man:
      1) We see that your present surname does not match the surname
given on your publications.  Why is that?  Me: I am married, and
that is my maiden name on the publlications.
      side comment: is that what those rings are for
      2) How do you propose to handle marriage and a career?
ME: It's not something we entered into lightly; it has been my plan
to go to grad school, and my husband supports me.
      3) What does your husband do?
ME: He is a technical salesman for a controls company...
      I was 23 at the time.
      This still irks me; some have said I should have complained to
the granting agency.  However, I wasn't really bothered by it.  It
was my friends who had a greater problem.
      By the way, I did get the scholarship (I wonder if I had made
a smart remark, whether I would have been successful?)
      Thanks, DAWN