Women scientists dressing down

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Fri Feb 9 15:25:03 EST 1996

I just remembered something from when I was a visiting instructor a few
years back. This was at a university whose main focus was engineering,
and which had only gone "coed" less than 15 years before. There were
precious few female students and even fewer female faculty.  All
employees got a memo from human resources one day stating that we needed
to present a more professional appearance, so they were going to sponsor
a seminar on how to dress properly. Included topics were to be hair
styling and make-up tips, and a fashion show from a local dress shop. My
few female colleagues thought this was hysterical, as we usually dressed
in what my industry friends call business casual.  It was the men who
tended to lecture in jeans (one of the more memorable wore the same
jeans, sweater, and white shirt almost every day we could remember).  The
protest consisted of a female boycott of this seminar and some of our
more enlightened male colleagues attending and demanding help with their
make-up!

Cheers,
Linnea