women scientists dressing down

Karen Wheless wheless at sunchem.chem.uga.edu
Fri Feb 9 11:49:20 EST 1996

Here in Georgia, even though most everyone dresses down during normal
work, dressing up for a presentation is mandatory (at least to the extent
of a sport coat over jeans for the men, a skirt or nice pants with no
holes for women).  And most professors (as opposed to grad students) put
on a tie for teaching class (I'd give the female equivalent, but I've
never had a female prof here).  And interviewees tend to dress up - to
the extent of a prospective instructor in blue "power suit" having lunch
in the faculty dining room with four students in jeans and shirts covered
with holes!  Maybe this has to do with it being the "South"?

Karen
        Karen Wheless          wheless at sunchem.chem.uga.edu
     "Weed - a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered"
                        Ralph Waldo Emerson