dressing down

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Fri Feb 9 19:08:57 EST 1996

On 9 Feb 1996, Dianna L. Bourke wrote>

> Now this is very curious to me. In my (apparently northeastern
> conservative) graduate program, we all (men and women) dressed a little
> better for presentations and oral exams. Geez, some departments must be
> really knee-jerk politically correct about casual dressing. I have noticed
> increasingly, that many people don't even bother dressing for a platform
> presentations at a National Symposia any more.
>
> After having lived in the blue collar, democratic (yet highly traditional)
> northeast for most of my life with a brief stint in the wildly liberal,
> politically correct, Berkeley area of Calif, I have come to the conclusion
> that no one is more intolerant than the wildly politically correct liberal
> WHEN YOU DISAGREE WITH THEM! And I always thought I was politically
> correct! I suppose this applies to dressing, too. When I was in Calif, I
> has several silk dresses that I had to "dust" once in awhile, since I was
> afraid if I ever wore them to any school function, I would be considered
> pretentious. Go Figure.
>
> Dianna

I think what you have noticed is  perhaps a regional rather than a
"political correctness" issue.  When I moved from Missouri to Upstate New
York, summerwear that was perfectly accepectable ( and a little
understated) was considered "slutty" by those in the Northeast.
Previously on moving to Missouri, my summerwear acquired for the Seattle
area was considered "too West Coast", ie casual and beachy, to be proper.
Finally, here in Albuquerque, the style in which I like to dress does not
seem to offend anyone ;-).

I really think politics has very little to do with it!  People are so
certain in the US that how things are where they live that there can be a
real culture shock when you move to a totally different part of the
country. This is particularly noticable here in the Southwest because so
many people  are recent immigrants from somewhere else.  They come here
and seem to think that the Hispanic-Anglo-NativeAmerican culture, which has
been under development for almost 4.5 centuries is "quaint" and wonder why the
city isn't more like the booming megalopolis they originally came from.

Just a point of interest for me: What the heck does "politically correct "
mean anymore anyway? When I first heard this used it seemed to imply a
certain amount of correctness for correctness sake, not firmly held
(usually liberal) convictions.  Anyone have an answer?

Have a good weekend!
Linnea