(none)

Terry McTigue tam2731 at usl.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:08:28 EST 1996

mbrown at BILBO.BIO.PURDUE.EDU (Marcy Brown) wrote:

> In our group of ecologists, women encounter a double-edged sword.  Our
> field work usually requires all of us, male and female, to wear an
> assortment of flannel or denim shirts, hiking boots and jeans to keep warm
> and/or protected in the field.  Often this style is carried over into
> everyday work in the office, again by both males and females. However,
> female graduate students have at times been criticized because they don't
> dress up enough.  In most cases, the remark is ignored; however, on at
> least one occasion all of the female graduate students responded by showing
> up to the office in dresses to gently embarrass the professor that made the
> comment.

A professor mentioned that the female grad students didn't dress up
enough?  What business was it of his?  If the male grad students
drag into the office in flannels and jeans, the women should have
free choice to join in if they choose.  I think this prof was out of line.

I work in estuarine ecology.  Lab work can involve handling large amounts
of mud.  I don't dress up much because there's a good chance of getting
dirty.  At the same time, however, my clothes are never torn or tattered, they
cover everything they should, and could be worn anywhere but the nicest
restaurants (except after a mud mishap, of course!). They are, however,
sensible cotton and can be laundered.  During grad school, my fellow female
students who worked in tidier labs would dress up more, but I just can't
justify nylons and nail polish.  It's guaranteed that I'd ruin both before
lunch.

Terry
Terry