abortion response

Anne Carpenter anne at expert.cc.purdue.edu
Fri Feb 9 19:47:57 EST 1996

I wholeheartedly agree that we should not get into a discussion of
abortion.  However, I had to comment...

Someone posts the number for an abortion clinic.
Someone (ED) posts the number for an adoption clinic and urges people
considering abortion to consider adoption too.
Then someone else tells ED that he has no right to tell us women how to
live because he's a man.

This is an interesting gender issue:

Firstly, ED did *not* tell anyone how to live...reread the original post.

Secondly, just because ED could never become pregnant doesn't mean that
he has no right to decide upon the morality of abortion -
If a woman is infertile and will never be able to have children, does she not
have the right to say that abortion is immoral (or moral, for that matter)?
Just because you wouldn't ever be in a situation yourself does not mean that
you can't believe certain actions in that situation would be immoral.  Do
you see what I mean?

It seems like some women have learned nothing from years of
discrimination - the answer is not to discriminate against men, but to
let people have their say, male or female.

Anne