apologies made to all but the right person

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Mon Feb 12 11:12:44 EST 1996

On 12 Feb 1996, ED MCNALLY wrote:

>         I was going to let this drop, but I really can't.  In articles
> 3511 and 3518, 1kista at UNM.EDU (Linnea Ista or someone using that
> address and name) responded to my post.  What I had done was to provide
> information on an alternative to abortion in response to a post
> providing information on how to obtain one.  Ms. Ista's response seemed
> to be one of anger in which she stated that it seemed convenient for me
> to "tell the rest of us (women) how to live, knowing that you are
> safe."
>
>         If you take a moment to read the posts, I did not tell anyone
> how to live. I only provided information on how to obtain information
> on an alternative to abortion.  I will assume that Ms. Ista would term
> herself "Pro-choice" (my apologies if I am incorrect).  I will also
> point out that providing information on options is consistent with the
> term "Choice", whereas censuring that information is very much the
> antithesis of "Choice".  In other words, to say that this information
> should not be provided would be to "tell the rest of us how to live".
> I do not think that this is what Ms. Ista would want.  I also will
> assume that she does not feel that every pregnancy should end in
> abortion.  (Again, my apologies if I am incorrect)
>
>         I would not have responded to this except for two reasons:
>
>     1. Ms. Ista made two apologies to the rest of you, but not to me,
>        even after having it pointed out to her that she had seriously
>        misinterpreted what I had said ( I sent her e-mail to this
>        effect, and two others posted general articles).
>
>     2. My words were discounted simply because I am a man.  Reverse
>        discrimination against men by some will not help resolve any
>        oppression leveled against women.  I was told earlier that an
>        incident I described in which I was told that I was having
>        difficulty with a superior because "I don't think she likes men"
>        was an isolated incident.  It seems that it is  assumed that
>        situations like this rarely occur, and should therefore be
>        discounted.  They are not as rare as many think. Besides, I
>        reiterate that such backlashes only serve to heighten tension,
>        and are in direct opposition to what should be the real
>        objective, which is justice.
>
> I do not wih to use this forum as a debate for abortion.  In fact, I
> originally subscribed to this group so that I could possibly gather
> information of value for my female students.  I have to say that I am
> very disappointed that everything seems to be directed toward what has
> been done wrong, rather than providing information for those of us who
> want to do something right for women-in-bio.

I would like to respond to this.

Number one, I responded out of anger, which I should not have done.
Number two, I never received a personal response to my post from Mr.
McNally. I do not doubt that he sent one. My mail server has not been
being really consitant lately.

I thought my apology was general.

Yes I am pro-choice, no I do not belive that every pregnancy should end
in abortion.

MR. MCNALLY I AM HUMBLY, PUBLICALLY AND SHAMEFACEDLY APOLOGIZING!

 I saw what I (apparently incorrectly) interpreted as an "antichoice"
post from someone who was male.  As I had stated in the one (not two)
apology sent out, I recently had to deal with mostly male protesters
while accompanying a friend to an abortion clinic.  It was not a pleasant
experience. When I saw Mr. McNally's post I (evidently incorrectly)
identified him with the people who had so tormented my friend. Once again
I apologize.

Linnea Ista
(yes, that is my real name)