women scientists dressing down

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Tue Feb 13 16:49:18 EST 1996

> : --
> Hi All,
> 	I use to have this problem with my art teacher at school, she was
> drop dead gorgeouse and a favourite amongst the boys, I was the most
> talented artist in the school and it was torture when she came over to me
> with her low cut dress baring her boobs on my face. How do you expect
> anyone to learn if that happens?
>
> 	Wah.

This reminds me of a critique a fellow instructor of mine got while
teaching an engineering class. In her formal evaluation, under the part
where it asks what the instructor could do to be more effective.  One
student's response "make yourself uglier; I was too overcome by sexual
desire to learn from you".  For the record, she dressed in skirts and
nice shirts, very professionally.

If your teacher had not been "drop dead gorgeous" would this have been a
problem for you?

What do the rest of you think?

Linnea