Purpose of group

Gert Jan Gast gjgast at nioz.nl
Thu Feb 15 08:24:02 EST 1996

cruyff at ix.netcom.com(ED MCNALLY ) wrote:

>I am seeking information here, not looking to become engaged in a
>posting war.

As long as you don't post, you will not become involved in
anything.

>What is the purpose of this group?

A place to exchange knowledge, views, experiences, ideas,
emotions, troubles, etc.. There is no intentioned purpose, it
evolves as persons contribute.

> I accessed it originally in the
>hopes of obtaining information for my female students regarding
>scholarships, career insights, etc.

You cannot expect a newsgroup to fulfill all your hopes. But
sometimes this kind of information is contributed.

> Is it more of a sounding board for
>complaints?

It is more what bothers women in science. Being a man as much
as you are I find that there are things to learn here. All the
getting heard "complaints" made me aware of surprisingly frequent
phenomenon I seldom noticed before.

 If so, can someone please direct to a more appropriate
>place?  Any information which can be provided would be appreciated.
>
>Again, I apologize if this sounds critical,

It sounds more like a complaint.

>but I am looking for
>information, and the threads on work attire and such are not
>appropriate to my needs.  Please advise.

1. ask for specific information you want
2. better: let your female students themselves ask for the
information they seek.
3. do not read postings that do not interest you.

Cheers, GJ.

Gert Jan Gast, Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
P.O. Box 59, 1790 AB Den Burg, The Netherlands.
Phone: 31 (0)222 369573. Fax: 31 (0)222 319674.