Purpose of group

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Fri Feb 16 15:52:17 EST 1996

>Hi!
>I have found this here at UNM also. One of our students recently quit >
>find a job. Although she had offers from all over the country, she >
stayed
>right here in New Mexico. Now I understand not wanting to leave New
>Mexico because it is wonderful here, but her main motivation seemed to
>be
>not moving too far from her family.  To be fair, this is not a cultural
>phenomenon, though, I have two friends who refuse to move from the east
>coast because it would mean being far away from their parents.  Could >
it
>have something to do with the expectation in some families that the
>daughters will eventually take care of their parents?
>
>Linnea

It could also have to do with the very real fact that living close to
parents can be a boon for women who want to work and have children.  My
mother is a judge, and though she doesn't have a lot of free time, the 3
years I lived in the same town were wonderful when it came to someone to
take the kids for 2 hours Saturday night so we could have an adult
conversation, or someone to be contacted by the school if the parents
couldn't be reached.  If the family has a stay-at-home grandma who wants
to child-sit, the savings in daycare costs can be equivalent to a $10-
$12,000 raise (in the Northeast anyway)!

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University