Purpose of group

Galloway Cynthia M kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
Fri Feb 16 11:58:38 EST 1996

As to the purpose of this group, I also never thought I would run into
problems of discrimination, getting heard, etc. and quickly found that
these are very major problems still in existence today.  I am the only
female scientist at my University and find that after five years many of
the female students gravitate to my office and tell me things they would
never tell a male professor.  I find the postings here helpful and very
useful.  It also makes me feel less isolated to hear that others are
facing similar problems.  Most of the people I work with are wonderful
but the fact that I "express an X chromosome" is a problem to some people
and unfortunately some have been in a position to affect my career.

I would like to start, or attempt to start, another line of discussion.
I work at a predominantly Hispanic university and most of my female students
will not think about going away to school to pursue a Ph.D., even though
some are very qualified.  Many students have told me that you just don't
leave your family to go off to school.  I am not talking husband and
children but mom's, dad's and siblings.  I have even been confronted by
husbands and fathers that I am a bad influence on their daughters because
I am not married, do not live in the state where my parents live, and
seem to be happy. Does anyone else have this problem?

Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biology
Campus Box 158