Purpose of group

Galloway Cynthia M kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
Fri Feb 16 11:58:38 EST 1996

As to the purpose of this group, I also never thought I would run into
problems of discrimination, getting heard, etc. and quickly found that
these are very major problems still in existence today.  I am the only
female scientist at my University and find that after five years many of
the female students gravitate to my office and tell me things they would
never tell a male professor.  I find the postings here helpful and very
useful.  It also makes me feel less isolated to hear that others are
facing similar problems.  Most of the people I work with are wonderful
but the fact that I "express an X chromosome" is a problem to some people
and unfortunately some have been in a position to affect my career.

I would like to start, or attempt to start, another line of discussion.
I work at a predominantly Hispanic university and most of my female students
will not think about going away to school to pursue a Ph.D., even though
some are very qualified.  Many students have told me that you just don't
leave your family to go off to school.  I am not talking husband and
children but mom's, dad's and siblings.  I have even been confronted by
husbands and fathers that I am a bad influence on their daughters because
I am not married, do not live in the state where my parents live, and
seem to be happy. Does anyone else have this problem?

Cyndy

 --
Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Associate Professor