Purpose of group

Dougherty, Erika, Dr. MBD BW DOUGHER1 at MSMBWMA.marburg.hoechst-ag.d400.de
Fri Feb 16 09:10:24 EST 1996

Regarding Ed's note questioning the purpose of this group:

I have found the threads about dressing down, partners with careers, getting
heard, etc. to EXTREMELY interesting and useful in my everyday work life.
I'm not sure that Ed  is able to judge what might be useful and interesting
to his female students. Why not have them log on themselves rather than
filtering the information for them? Or if they can't log on, hard copies of
the various postings might give them some food for thought.

This group has really been a lifesaver to me as an American working in
Germany (see, Sarah, there are some other Europeans, although I did do my
grad work in the US). I never thought I would have to deal with
discrimination--that was back in my mom's time, but now things have changed,
right? When I came here not quite two years ago, I soon found that sexism is
rampant in German society and particulary where I work. I thought, no
problem, my research accomplishments will convince them to treat me as an
equal. After having some successes in my projects, however, and seeing
absolutely no change in the attitudes of my male peers and superiors, I have
become a raving feminist (bring on the quotas, otherwise things will never
change). Having here (needless to say) absolutely no female peers, it has
been wonderful to get some confirmation from others that I'm not going
crazy--e.g. with the getting heard thread. Even though I am working in
industry rather than academics, so much of the discussion fits in 100% with
my experience.

So, to close this rather long first post of mine, I want to emphasize:
whatever the purpose of this group is and has been, I hope it doesn't change
(much)!

Erika Dougherty