Purpose of group

Ms. S.J. Rickard srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 15 05:10:56 EST 1996

I too often wonder the purpose of this newsgroup, but these things are
not written in stone and a group should be fluid and dynamic.
I think I am possibly the only woman outside of North America who reads
this newsgroup (or it feels that way!) and so I often cannot offer any
opinions as my experiences are radically different to many woman
scientists in America. We do not have "Grad School" (whatever that is!)
and our degree/PhD system is quite different, so I feel I cannot comment
on issues relating to jobs, careers etc. Are there any Europeans out
there??? Any Brits????
I also feel that the newsgroup can be a teensy bit over serious at times.
I'm 23 and a Research Asst in a research institute in London, I don't
have kids, a husband or a Chair!!!! Sometimes the threads can be a
entirely about the above topics and it makes me feel very, very young!!!!
Does anyone else think this???? Can we lighten up and chat about other
less important stuff sometimes??? I would enjoy that very much!
As for Eds question about the purpose of this newsgroup, I don't think
there is a purpose, we the subscribers have only 2 things in
common....one that we're women and two that we all have an interest in
biology. The exact purpose of the group hangs entirely on those two
things. Whilst I think it's great of Ed to think of his female
students in
subscribing to this group, I also think that as he doesn't meet one of
the criteria (i.e. not enough X chromosomes) his role in the group should
be as a listener and gatherer of information and not necessarily as an
active participant. But then that's my opinion and the internet is a free
world and he can do whatever he wants.
Lecture over!!!!
Replies gratefully recieved,
Sarah