europeans

Ms. S.J. Rickard srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 11:42:59 EST 1996

HOORAH!!!!!!
I am not alone!!!!!
Thank god, I was beginning to get a complex about it!!
I know I am young and only a lowly research assistant (down there with
the amoebas!!!!!!!!), but I do tend to think that Americans take there
science more seriously than us. There seems to be a lot more competition
about postdocs, grad school (whatever that is!) and general careers for
women. I work in a 95% women genetics lab here in London, and I find that
no one is as hyped up or over competative about their "stuff". Things
just chug along fine, we all get along, and most importantly we all have
lives!!!! All this in a lab with a 5 research rating (top value!), so the
science isn't suffering. The climate must be different over the
Atlantic as it seems to me after reading posts about Americans looking for
Phds and
postdocs that there is so much pressure and competition. If I wanted to
do a Phd I would have no trouble finding funding or a position in the UK
and there are plenty of post docs about too.
I am quite glad it's is apparantly more relaxed over here as I like a 9-5pm
existance (we all go home at 5pm, no weekend work either!), no stress and
time to live my life!
Any comments from other Europeans (both of you!!!!) or Americans (all of
Sarah