Men on women-in-bio.

Anne Carpenter anne at expert.cc.purdue.edu
Sat Feb 17 17:45:55 EST 1996

legitimate place on this newsgroup... By all means, YES!!
        It seems to me that getting the men in our field to understand
our problems and concerns would be the *very best way* to benefit women-
in-bio.  I would guess that most women in our field have felt the pressures
and can understand our complaints - Telling each other about our experiences
is definitely very helpful and encouraging, However:  It seems that the
only way to actually change some of the situations that we are in is for
men to read and listen to what we're saying!  I am remembering a post in
which a man on our newsgroup had his eyes opened about the gender differences
bin verbal communication and vowed to pay more attention to this issue.
     Don't you think it would be interesting for some of our male colleagues
and coworkers to read about the types of problems and concerns that female
scientists have that maybe they never realized?
     Please, all you men, don't be put off by the unkindness or hostility
you may have been shown by some - your input is greatly appreciated,
and I hope that you will continue to learn from us, and teach us too!

(P.S. Women:  Does it make sense to only care about what women say
about gender issues in biology?)

Anne
Sophomore - Purdue University