Y not??

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Mon Feb 19 10:48:11 EST 1996

On Mon, 19 Feb 1996, Ms. S.J. Rickard wrote:

> My reference to having a Y chromosome was supposed to be slighty
> humourous, not a criticism, perhaps my British humour is a little too
> dry, I shall endeavour to put smileys :) by my sarcastic comments in future!!
> As to male participation, I still feel that this group should revolve
> around womans issues and that men do not necessarily have a place as
> active members.  I realise that they have a viewpoint and have things to
> say, but I do worry that the purpose of the group will be lost. The whole
> of science and the internet is predominantly male and this seems to be
> the only place women scientists have a forum, without the pressure of
> men. We can talk about what we want to talk about (be it high heels or
> childcare facilities) and set the agenda ourselves. I don't want this to
> be lost.
> I am not a seperatist or feel that men are the enemy, but I do  think
> that sometimes it's nice to have discussions without men, particuarly
> when we often discuss our treatment by patriarchial society. How free
> would we feel if there were male participants?
> There are many places on the internet male scientists can access, why do
> they need to actively participate in this newsgroup???? I can
> understand men wanting to gather info for students etc or just to browse
> and get a feel for how women feel about science etc, but isn't that
> enough????
> This is just how I feel, am I alone?????
> Sarah
> p.s. it was nice to hear from all you non Americans!!!!! (there are 4 of

I really think that men do have a place in this group.  I do not think
that any of us feel inhibited because there may be a man or two lurking
or even posting. The occasional "baiting" aside, many of the
contributions are useful and it is good for me to know sometimes that
there are supportive men and/or men trying to become enlightened about
the problems we encounter, our views on various subjects and indeed which
subjects we find important.

linnea