Y not??

Gert Jan Gast gjgast at nioz.nl
Mon Feb 19 07:46:44 EST 1996

"Ms. S.J. Rickard" <srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:
>My reference to having a Y chromosome was supposed to be slighty
>humourous, not a criticism, perhaps my British humour is a >little too
>dry, I shall endeavour to put smileys :) by my sarcastic >comments in future!!

Please don't. You'd ruin your humor. I understood it as you meant

>As to male participation, I still feel that this group should >revolve
>around womans issues and that men do not necessarily have a >place as
>active members.

No, not necessarily, but does that mean necessarily not? I asked,
because I want to know whether I would be found/felt intrusive or
not. I do not wish to go against anybody's wishes or feelings.

>I realise that they have a viewpoint and have things to
>say, but I do worry that the purpose of the group will be lost. >The whole
>of science and the internet is predominantly male and this seems >to be
>the only place women scientists have a forum, without the >pressure of
>men. We can talk about what we want to talk about (be it high >heels or
>childcare facilities) and set the agenda ourselves. I don't want >this to
>be lost.

Me neither!

>I am not a seperatist or feel that men are the enemy, but I do  think
>that sometimes it's nice to have discussions without men, particuarly
>when we often discuss our treatment by patriarchial society. How free
>would we feel if there were male participants?

As this is the internet I can't see any way you ever could
prevent men at least reading.

>There are many places on the internet male scientists can >access, why do
>they need to actively participate in this newsgroup????

I do not need to, but I want to or I'd like to be able to. I
enjoy this newsgroup very much exactly because it is the one
place I know that is not typically "male".
Maybe it is an idea to start a seperate newsgroup with gender
issues and such with both sexes participating, while reserving
this one for women only. But I fear that it would be the same
group of people contributing to both.

Luck, GJ.

Gert Jan Gast
Netherlands Institute for Sea Research
Department of Marine Ecology
P.O. Box 59, 1790 AB Den Burg, The Netherlands.
Phone: 31 (0)222 369573. Fax: 31 (0)222 319674.