Y not??

Ms. S.J. Rickard srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Mon Feb 19 06:40:28 EST 1996

My reference to having a Y chromosome was supposed to be slighty
humourous, not a criticism, perhaps my British humour is a little too
dry, I shall endeavour to put smileys :) by my sarcastic comments in future!!
As to male participation, I still feel that this group should revolve
around womans issues and that men do not necessarily have a place as
active members.  I realise that they have a viewpoint and have things to
say, but I do worry that the purpose of the group will be lost. The whole
of science and the internet is predominantly male and this seems to be
the only place women scientists have a forum, without the pressure of
men. We can talk about what we want to talk about (be it high heels or
childcare facilities) and set the agenda ourselves. I don't want this to
be lost.
I am not a seperatist or feel that men are the enemy, but I do  think
that sometimes it's nice to have discussions without men, particuarly
when we often discuss our treatment by patriarchial society. How free
would we feel if there were male participants?
There are many places on the internet male scientists can access, why do
they need to actively participate in this newsgroup???? I can
understand men wanting to gather info for students etc or just to browse
and get a feel for how women feel about science etc, but isn't that
enough????
This is just how I feel, am I alone?????
Sarah
p.s. it was nice to hear from all you non Americans!!!!! (there are 4 of