europeans

Hilary Bates hbates at amgen.com
Mon Feb 19 14:58:39 EST 1996

"Denni Schnapp" <ds4 at st-andrews.ac.uk> wrote:

>Hurray, another Brit! Like Sarah, I was wondering whether I was more-or-less
>the only European reading the newsgroup. But of course, women in biology seems
>rather americanized because so few of us Europeans post there, so it's our
>fault. How many are lurking here? I would enjoy expanding the whole careers
>discusion to include a European point of view, not least because I am about
>to start looking for a postdoc. We might also start discussing the troubles
>and delights of moving to a different country to work, quite a lot of people
>who take up their first postdoc go abroad, many to America. Anyway, I would
>be happy if more Brits could join in the discussions in this group.
>
>Greetings,
>
>Denni (ds4 at st-and.ac.uk)

I'm a Brit too, but I'm working in industry in the USA, so much of
my experience does not mirror the bulk of the discussion here.
Nevertheless, I have found most of the discussions to be extremely
interesting, even if they are not directly relevant to me (and of
course some of them *are* relevant. Some topics are equally relevant
to academia and industry.). I contribute only occasionally, but have
often received positive reinforcement for my comments, and have (I
hope) been of positive help to one or two people here.

Thanks for your contributions (and to everyone else who has contributed
to this thread).

Hilary
hbates at amgen.com
<><

*** Disclaimer: These are the opinions of the poster not Amgen Inc.***