PhD, etc outside the US

Galloway Cynthia M kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
Mon Feb 19 11:45:27 EST 1996

> What is the status of the MSc in the US? I'm under the impression that it 
> is a "consolation prize" for those that don't obtain their PhD. 

Sometimes the MSc is a "consolation prize" for those who are in a PhD 
program and do not progress successfully through their program.  However, 
some Universities and Colleges do not have a PhD and the MS is the 
terminal degree.  I obtained my MS at such an institution and went on to 
get a PhD at a University where the PhD was the terminal degree.  I 
elected to get an MS mainly because I didn't know you could skip the MS 
and go right to a PhD and also because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do 
at the end of my BS.  I currently work at a University where the MS is 
the terminal degree offered.  


Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Associate Professor 
Dept. of Biology
Campus Box 158
Texas A&M University
Kingsville, TX 78363

FAX: 512/595-3409

More information about the Womenbio mailing list