PhD, etc outside the US

Galloway Cynthia M kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
Mon Feb 19 11:45:27 EST 1996

> What is the status of the MSc in the US? I'm under the impression that it
> is a "consolation prize" for those that don't obtain their PhD.

Sometimes the MSc is a "consolation prize" for those who are in a PhD
program and do not progress successfully through their program.  However,
some Universities and Colleges do not have a PhD and the MS is the
terminal degree.  I obtained my MS at such an institution and went on to
get a PhD at a University where the PhD was the terminal degree.  I
elected to get an MS mainly because I didn't know you could skip the MS
and go right to a PhD and also because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do
at the end of my BS.  I currently work at a University where the MS is
the terminal degree offered.

Cyndy

--
Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway