"Y" not? and "women's" work

Joy Frestedt frest001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Mon Feb 19 11:58:06 EST 1996

I have to agree with Sarah here.  This is a forum for women,largely by
women, and about the special needs of women.  I don't want to lose this.
Let's talk about our needs and if men have contributions - hopefully they
support our needs.  The women and men on this group are mostly bright,
intelligent and helpful - let's return to discussions of import to women
biologists.

I'm applying for a job teaching because the cut throat medical research,
stress, and competition are a pain.  Am I copping out because I'm female?
Or I'm female and therefore I expect better behavior from my colleagues
(mostly men in powerful places) than I've been receiving.  I do expect
better behavior, but most of the men who counsel me say to expect this
deplorable treatment in the work I do.  Many women confidents (and forward
thinking wonderful men generally NOT in the trenches with me) also expect
better behavior.

Joy

========Sarah wrote=====
snip
As to male participation, I still feel that this group should revolve
around womans issues and that men do not necessarily have a place as
active members.  I realise that they have a viewpoint and have things to
say, but I do worry that the purpose of the group will be lost. The whole
of science and the internet is predominantly male and this seems to be
the only place women scientists have a forum, without the pressure of
men. We can talk about what we want to talk about (be it high heels or
childcare facilities) and set the agenda ourselves. I don't want this to
be lost.
Snip
=========Alison wrote============
I welcome the postings from our male colleagues.  Many problems
women in the sciences have, seem to be in communications with
male colleagues.  How better to improve communication between
the sexes than to provide a forum where both men and women can
address such issues?
Alison Murray

Joy L Frestedt, PhD candidate
Pathobiology program, Lab Med and Path