What would you have done?

Robin Panza panzar at clpgh.org
Tue Feb 20 05:04:25 EST 1996

In article <4g5ihb$aab at gap.cco.caltech.edu>, ravena at cco.caltech.edu (Karen Allendoerfer) writes:
> In article <4g3egq$9v at news.ecn.bgu.edu>,
>>"DAWN C. GORDON" <I7BF at UNB.CA> wrote:
>>> that is my maiden name on the publlications.
>>>       side comment: is that what those rings are for
>
> This "side comment" seems outrageous.  I'm not sure I would have been able
> to keep my cool and at least would have been thinking "no, duh, moron.
> Karen

My reaction to this side comment was quite different from Karen's.  When I ask
a question and the response points out to me that I shouldn't have needed to
ask the question, I often make a side comment just like the above one.  This
translates into "Duh, OK, so I'm a moron, let's go on to something less
silly!"  Therefore, I didn't see the side comment as "outrageous".  It was just
how I'd have reacted, had I been the interviewer.

Robin Panza			panzar at clp2.clpgh.org
Section of Birds
Carnegie Museum of Natural History