What would you have done?

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Tue Feb 20 17:19:26 EST 1996

In article <1996Feb20.095925.4707 at clp2>, Robin Panza <panzar at clpgh.org> wrote:
>In article <4g5ihb$aab at gap.cco.caltech.edu>, ravena at cco.caltech.edu (Karen Allendoerfer) writes:
>>
>> This "side comment" seems outrageous.  I'm not sure I would have been able
>> to keep my cool and at least would have been thinking "no, duh, moron.
>> Karen
>
>My reaction to this side comment was quite different from Karen's.  When I ask
>a question and the response points out to me that I shouldn't have needed to
>ask the question, I often make a side comment just like the above one.  This
>translates into "Duh, OK, so I'm a moron, let's go on to something less
>silly!"  Therefore, I didn't see the side comment as "outrageous".  It was just
>how I'd have reacted, had I been the interviewer.

Robin,

This is very interesting. It definitely got me thinking; I suppose that
my reaction would have depended on the tone of voice that the "side comment"
was offered.  If it had been offered as a self-deprecating humorous aside,
I hope I wouldn't have reacted badly (although it's possible I would have
misunderstood, because the possibility didn't even occur to me before you
pointed it out).  It was because I interpreted the comment as being
"serious" and "condescending" that it annoyed me.  Since I wasn't in the
room, I don't know which it was.  Thanks for pointing out an alternate
interpretation.

Karen