"Y" not? and "women's" work

Sarah L. Pallas spallas at bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Feb 21 18:21:03 EST 1996

In article <3128D9C9.356A at qm.salk.edu> SL Forsburg,
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu writes:
[snip]   >... My observations on searches
>suggest  that women are not applying for positions in the same
>ratio that they are present in the postdoc population;  I can't
>blame them, but I also fear things will never change unless
>they change from within, which means, getting in the system. But
>women students and postdocs (and a few men) have told me that
>that they dont want to put up with the grief. They are more likely
> to think that they can't make it, because they don't behave in
>the aggressive  fashion (which always suggests to them great self
>confidence on the  part of the opposition). They have also  told me
>that they don't want to be like me, now that they have seen
> the stress of a junior faculty position. I guess that makes me a
>negative role model.  :-(

One of the tacks to take with this problem has already been taken, I
think, and I hope to take it myself.  It is possible to get a position in
a less hierarchical, more cooperative, less egotistical department than
the ones that celebrate what you call the "macho science behavior".  Once
there, women (and men) scientists can flourish, get grants, get appointed
to editorial boards, study sections, and scientific society positions,
and be in a position to change the world without having to take as much
crap from egomaniacs.  But we also definitely need the brave souls like
yourself that are willing to take it head on!

Sarah Pallas