communication styles

Sarah L. Pallas spallas at bcm.tmc.edu
Wed Feb 21 18:53:54 EST 1996

In article <v01510100ad510e9cad63@[146.186.64.77]> Dianna L. Bourke,
dlb17 at PSU.EDU writes:
>But, here is my question. In reference to the Deborah Tannen stuff, I
think
>I have become much more of a hybrid between male and female communication
>(and life) styles. I can dish with the best of them, but eventually I
WANT
>AN ISSUE RESOLVED SO I CAN MOVE ON WITH MY LIFE! Although I like
>validation, some of my womenfriends, most of who are in science related
>fields, seem content to let certain issues roll around in their lives
until
>the end of time and I find this frustrating. If I am in a meeting, I
always
>want to get straight to the point and resolve the issue at hand and
wonder
>of wonders, come out with some sort of "action plan." Have I developed a
>"male" communication style and life attitude because of so many male
>influences in my life? I started out with my father and two strong
brothers
>and have had many male advisors, although my dissertation advisor was a
>female. What do you think?

I already posted on this topic but in a different thread, and I'm
procrastinating today, so....

I don't like the implication by Tannen and others that if I don't
communicate in a certain style, then I'm not a real woman, somehow.  I'm
sure that men also don't like the implication that ALL men communicate in
the same way.  My request is that when making generalizations, state that
they are generalizations, so you won't offend the tomboys and sensitive
men out there.  Communication (and other) behaviors do not always
segregate by gender.

Sarah Pallas