communication styles

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Thu Feb 22 11:15:48 EST 1996

     I agree with Sarah that not all men or all women communicate in the
     same way and that one cannot necessarily predict the behavior of any
     individual based solely on that person's gender.  Not only are there
     overlapping regions of the distribution curves, but we also tend to
     adapt our behavioral style to the situation at hand.

     However, I disagree that the generalizations arrived at in these male
     vs. female studies imply that because I am either male or female that
     I must, necessarily, behave in a particular way.  At least I have not
     taken those studies that way.  Rather, I think that they help us to
     better understand those whose communication style differs from our
     own.  I take this knowledge in much the same vein as the personality
     style or behavioral style analyses that one talks about in management
     training seminars.  That is, they are tools to use for increasing
     communication among people, not boxes for stereotyping them.

     On the other hand, I am also realistic enough to know that there are
     people who will use this type of information to stereotype and
     discriminate against people of the opposite gender.  Unfortunately, we
     still have a long way to go in the fight against gender-bias (and
     race-, religious-, cultural-, etc-bias)

     Margaret