Scottish degrees

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at
Sat Feb 24 12:57:49 EST 1996

Beth Shuster wrote:
> Hilary Bates <hbates at> wrote:
> >All first degrees at Oxford (and Cambridge) are BA, regardless of
> >subject. (Even engineering!) It's for historic reasons, dating from
> >the days when only arts subjects were studied.
> This is also true at some U.S. liberal arts colleges.  My undergraduate
> degree in Biochemistry was a B.A. (actually, since the diploma was in
> Latin, it's officially an A.B.!).

And some universities, as well.  My first degree is an AB
in Molecular Biology from Berkeley, because the dept was in the
College of Letters and Sciences.  People doing Genetics in the
College of Natural Resources got a BS, however.

-- susan

S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at
 "I don't speak for the Institute,