are you the secretary?

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Sun Feb 25 13:06:05 EST 1996

Bharathi Jagadeesh wrote:

> I don't get really upset about this, but it is annoying. One of
> the things that I find most annoying about it is that I really
> don't want to be snobby -- I think that there are technicians,
> animal care personnel, and summer students who all do excellent
> jobs, and I don't want to put them down. But, on the other hand,
> I do wanted to be given the same status as my white male colleagues.

I agree with this;  I don't want to put down my secretary, who
is very good at her job and makes my life much easier!   but
I AM annoyed that after all this time, these assumptions (that
young woman can't be professor/PI/in charge) still exist.
What I find most depressing is that they exist among the students,
even the women.  Arent they supposed to be young enough to escape
such assumptions?

--
S L Forsburg
susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu