Jokes about sexism

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Mon Feb 26 09:57:55 EST 1996

 In message <4gqka5$d46 at ursa.smsu.edu>, rar453s at nic.smsu.edu (Ruhlen
Rachel) wrote:
>>>Occassionally someone says something along the lines of "Women should
be in the kitchen anyway," meaning it as a joke.  (Or, women aren't as
smart,
or some obviously sexist remark.)  I don't think it's funny, but I usually
laugh anyway, or at least smile, to show that I understood it was meant as
a joke.

What would be a better way to respond, without being rude?<<<

I think Ed's suggestion of responding with another stereotype then
commenting that stereotypes are silly is good.  If you want to be a bit
more assertive, ask the person if they would be as comfortable, or as
amused making an analagous comment about an African-American or a Jew
(e.g. "Blacks should be picking cotton, anyway;" "Jews shouls stick to
accounting, anywas"). It amazes me that people who would never be so rude
as to make a joke out of a racist remark still think that sexism is a
source of endless humor.

Sherry Marts
American Health Assistance Foundation