are you the secretary?

Bill Lee leew at wadsworth.org
Mon Feb 26 16:40:23 EST 1996

In article <mcb10-2602961221340001 at 132.236.129.71> mcb10 at cornell.edu (Peggy Barr) writes:
>From: mcb10 at cornell.edu (Peggy Barr)
>Subject: Re: are you the secretary?
>Date: Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:21:34 -0400

>This is one of my pet peeves, although I don't usually respond to it.  I
>have not one but two degrees (DVM and PhD) which entitle me to "Dr." as
>much as the next person, yet I am frequently called "Ms. Barr" or "Mrs.
>Barr" (I am married, but my husband's last name is Stuart).  I usually
>ignore it (or say please call me by my first name), unless the offense is
>committed by someone I will continue to see - it sounds a little absurd to
>say "excuse me but I'm DR. Barr...."  What do you think?  Should I
>continue to ignore it or call attention to the error?

>Peggy Barr

This is only a little analogous, I guess, but I feel the same way (as a PhD),
when talking to an M.D.  I remember being introduced by a resident to "Dr. So
and So" as Mr. Lee even though we had just finished chit-chatting about
different topics, including my thesis work.  Reminds me of recent Ann Landers
column about PhD's wanting to be called "Dr." in social settings.  Her
viewpoint...it is improper.  I remember a physician wrote in on the subject
and was livid that we would even have the temerity to consider being addressed
as such.   We just don't know our place, I guess.

Bill