Jokes about sexism

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Mon Feb 26 17:11:03 EST 1996

     The men I work with are always joking around with each other in this
     way, putting each other down with jokes about age, baldness, lack of
     prowess at golf, etc, etc, etc.  I think that this is just how some
     men relate to each other.  So, by using these kinds of jokes they are
     treating you like "one of the guys".  Retaliation in kind is certainly
     appropriate.  This is not always the case, of course, and may also be
     cultural.  I don't know, for example, if European men normally behave
     this way.  Anyway, I think that the intent behind the jokes has to be
     judged on a case-by-case basis.  If you know the person and how they
     relate to other men and to women in general, you can usually tell if
     the joke is meant to be offensive or not.

     Just my 2 cents.

     Margaret

Subject: Re: Jokes about sexism
Author:  Gert Jan Gast <gjgast at nioz.nl> at Internet-Mail
Date:    2/26/96 11:56

cruyff at ix.netcom.com(ED MCNALLY ) wrote:
>In <4gqka5$d46 at ursa.smsu.edu> rar453s at nic.smsu.edu (Ruhlen Rachel)
>writes:
>>
>>This isn't science-related, but I keep encountering this from people
>who
>>are supposed to be professionals, and I find it annoying.
>>
>>Occassionally someone says something along the lines of "Women should
>bbe
>>inthe kitchen anyway," meaning it as a joke.  (Or, women aren't as
>smart,
>>or some obviously sexist remark.)  I don't think it's funny, but I
>usually
>>laugh anyway, or at least smile, to show that I understood it was
>meant as
>>a joke.
>>
>>What would be a better way to respond, without being rude?
>>

>    I know I will probably get flamed for this response,

We are not complaining, are we?

> but I think
>this is their way of supporting you without directly saying so.

A woman who is told that she should be in the kitchen instead of
the lab has to understand that as indirect support???? Are you
serious??

> This
>is an uncomfortable issue because of the wide range of feelings >women
>have about it.

Sure, the problem is that women have such feelings. It's their
problem that they are annoyed.

>They probably feel they shouldn't ignore the issue,

What's the real issue here?

> but
>don't want to directly say anything for fear of sounding >patronizing.

They very much succeed in sounding patronizing.

>So they express themselves the way guys do: they make a joke.

We can't think of equivalent jokes we heard between men. We don't
think it is a pure joke either. Men who accept women as full
partners have no reason to make such jokes. Men who have a
problem with women beside or above them will. So there always is
an underlying meaning. Women are very right not to appreciate
that. Although very considerate of her we don't think Ruhlen
should care too much about being rude, because that's precisely
what the "jokes" are.

Cheers, Jeroen & GJ.
--

Gert Jan Gast <gjgast at NIOZ.NL>