are you the secretary?

Galloway Cynthia M kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
Mon Feb 26 17:45:56 EST 1996

Bill Lee wrote about MD's being livid about Ph.D's being called Dr. (I
hit the delete key before I could reply)

I have two short stories to add to this.  When I was waiting to go into
surgery years ago (as a Ph.D. student)  the surgeon came by to see me and
when he found I was working on my Ph.D said, "I could never do that, it's
too difficult".  Don't think I didn't have second thoughts about going
into surgery!!

The second dealt with a secretary at the same clinic.  I don't often use
my title outside of work but the secretary was being particularly rude.
She had been called away from her coffeebreak to fill out some forms so
that I could see the doctor.  When it got down to was I "Ms", "Mrs" or
"Miss" I said none of the above and said "Dr".  When she wanted to know
my speciality I said I was a Ph.D and her response was "Oh, not a real
doctor".  My reply was I was more of a doctor than anyone else in that
building just fill out the form and she left and never came back.

Fun, fun, fun.

Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Associate Professor
Dept. of Biology