Jokes about sexism

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Tue Feb 27 11:40:51 EST 1996

I have to admit that in certain contexts, "women should be in the kitchen"
jokes make me uncomfortable.  I do the same thing as the original poster,
I laugh politely.  However, I also agree with the person who said that a
witty retort is the best, it's just hard to come up with one.

Related to this, because I am blonde (genes, not peroxide), I have had more
than one man decide that I would think blonde jokes were funny and/or try to
get some kind of reaction out of me by telling blonde jokes in my presence.

This has happened to me in a lab/work situation, and I did feel uncomfortable
in response.  What worked, in terms of shutting them up, and making me feel
good, was to tell the following:  "Why are blonde jokes so short?  --So men
can remember them."

Karen