high self-esteem and aggression

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Tue Feb 27 11:05:54 EST 1996

     Maybe I'm the ecception that proves the rule, but in my pre-college
     years I was *not* one of the kids with an attitude.  I was very sedate
     and timid.  My goal after graduating from high school was to become
     either a dietican or a home economics teacher (which makes my friends
     roll on the floor, as I am now known as the "microwave queen").  I
     grew up in a family with all brothers, but never considered a
     non-traditional career before college.  Once I started studying
     biology and chemistry, though, I found I enjoyed it so much that I
     couldn't imagine doing anything else.  I really began to flower in
     college.  The assertiveness and self-confidence that I have gained
     came mainly from a supportive father and the realization that being
     respected for your knowledge and abilities is more valuable than being
     admired for being pretty and witty (I never was either of these).  I'm
     still not aggressive, but I no longer take any crap from anyone.

     I think my point is that sometimes we tend to ignore the wallflowers,
     who may be just the young women that need to be encouraged.  The ones
     with an attitude (if they don't get themselves into serious trouble
     first) stand a better chance of succeeding on their own.