high self-esteem and aggression

ED MCNALLY cruyff at ix.netcom.com
Tue Feb 27 19:38:36 EST 1996

In <lab_sakano-2602961622420001 at lsa6mac19.berkeley.edu>
lab_sakano at maillink.berkeley.edu (Linda Kingsbury) writes:

>I just saw a newspaper article that may relate to the thread on how
"only"
>50% of women/girls (compared to a greater percentage of males) thought
>they themselves were above average.
>
>According to this article, high self-esteem may be related to
aggression
>-- particularly self-esteem not supported by actual accomplishments.
I'm
>afraid I don't remember the reference for the study.
>
>Intruiging, huh?

I have long contended that pursuing self-esteem as an end in itself,
with no accomplishments to back it up, would only serve to promote a
false sense of accomplishment.  When someone has an inflated sense of
accomplishment or values for those accomplishments, they will naturally
assume that they are entitled to reap the associated rewards.  Others
do not always feel that way, especially those who have truly sacrificed
and succeded.  This would of course lead to conflict.  While this study
does not necessarily correlate directly with my posits, it seems to be
consistent with them.

The reason I have given this much thought is that I am a teacher, and
have been firmly opposed to self-esteem courses which offer baseless
self-esteem as a good thing, often while taking students away from one
of the very things that can help them achieve real self-esteem:
learning academic subjects.

If anyone can tell me where to get more information on this study, I
would be most appreciative.

                                        Ed McNally
                                    cruyff at ix.netcom.com