are you the secretary?

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Wed Feb 28 15:54:19 EST 1996

Hannah Dvorak wrote:

> Do you know if your students call their male profs Mr. _____ ?

Back in the recesses of my memory of life as an undergraduate,
I remember noting that in the course catalogue at Berkeley,
the humanities profs were listed as Mr or Ms
(as in, English 120A will be taught by Mr Jones and Ms Smith)
wherease the science profs were all listed as Dr
(Chemistry 1A will be taught by Dr Jones and Dr Smith).

Of course, everyone had their PhD;  but the style in the
arts and letters departments was to avoid use of the title.
Curious.

susan
--
S L Forsburg