are you the secretary?

Hannah Dvorak hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 28 14:29:58 EST 1996

In article <v01510102ad57cb981de6@[146.186.64.77]>, dlb17 at PSU.EDU (Dianna L. Bourke) says:
[snip]

> I also realized that they are
>used to calling their high school teachers Mrs. _______ because the vast
>majority of women high school teachers do not have their Ph.D.s.

Ok, this may be tangential to this thread, but in my experience
(only one high school, granted) the vast majority of high school
teachers of either sex did not have Ph.D.s.  Matter of fact,
I don't think any of my high school teachers had anything beyond
a B.A. or B.Sc. and a B.Ed.  My fiance had a high school biology
teacher with a Ph.D., but it was in astronomy.  Go figure.

Do you know if your students call their male profs Mr. _____ ?

- Hannah

Hannah Dvorak			hdvorak at cns.caltech.edu
Division of Biology 216-76
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91125