high self-esteem and aggression

Cathy Quinones quinones at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 28 00:28:31 EST 1996

In message <4h086c$lo4 at cloner2.ix.netcom.com> - cruyff at ix.netcom.com(ED MCNALLY
 ) writes:
:>The reason I have given this much thought is that I am a teacher, and
:>have been firmly opposed to self-esteem courses which offer baseless
:>self-esteem as a good thing, often while taking students away from one
:>of the very things that can help them achieve real self-esteem:
:>learning academic subjects.

Ed, could you give me an example of what is taught in one of these "baseless
self-esteem" courses?  I agree with you, nothing like accomplishment to make
one feel great!  There's also something like a sport, where the person has to
practice discipline, self-control, patience, planning (never mind the
sweat).  I am baffled about how one could even try to teach self-esteem
without having the student *change* in the process.   The only thing that
comes to mind would be a therapy group of sorts where students would talk
about their feelings.  Of course, that would be empowering: knowing one's
problems happen to other people can be very comforting, but that wouldn't in
itself make the students feel they are worthy and deserving, although it
could be a first step.  Is that what you mean?

Cathy Quinones			quinones at mindspring.com
http://www.mindspring.com/~mintz/coverpg.html = bird care info
Poicephalus rule!!