Ms.

Jane Dorweiler dorwe001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Thu Feb 29 09:17:40 EST 1996

Sabine wrote:
> Okay, so I finally ask. What does Ms. mean? I gathered as much that it is
> supposed to finish with the difference between Miss and Mrs., but what
> word does this abbreviation stand for?

I don't know that it stands for a particular word as much as a hybrid between
Miss and Mrs. which is pronounced "Miz" also attempting to sound like a hybrid
between the pronunciations of the other two...or either one said very fast.
Nonetheless, perhaps someone else knows more of the history of it.

Jane

Jane Dorweiler                 **  Regardless of what they say about the
Department of Plant Biology    **  cat, curiosity is a good thing.  It's
University of Minnesota        **  what makes each and every one of us
dorwe001 at maroon.tc.umn.edu     **  a scientist!!