It's a "Ms"tery!!!!

Joy Frestedt frest001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Thu Feb 29 13:08:40 EST 1996

I can't believe this company actually assigns gender specific titles to
employees email correspondence.  How RUDE (or possible even illegal?)!  I
actually remember thinking it was quite strange for the email header in
question to say "Ms. S.J. Rickard."  I presumed that the sender felt quite
strongly about the fact that she was female.
Joy

On Thu, 29 Feb 1996 16:29:25 +0000,
Ms. S.J. Rickard  <srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> wrote:

>Sorry about the awful pun, couldn't resist!!!
>I use Ms as a title (although my institute automatically issues Ms as an
>e mail address to all female employees).
>I use it as it doesn't give my marital status away, as I don't see why I
>should if men don't have to. I pronounce it "mzz" and I find more and
>more women are using it, as they find Miss patronizing and unnecessary.
>Is it as widely used in the States or elsewhere????
>Sarah

Joy L Frestedt, PhD candidate
Pathobiology program, Lab Med and Path
University of Minnesota Medical School