female:male ratio in K-3 kids

Peggy Barr mcb10 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 8 13:08:07 EST 1996

Hello all,

I have been following this news group for about 6 weeks and have enjoyed
several of the discussions.  I think this may be a good forum to throw out
a question to the moms out there.

I have a 5 year old daughter in kindergarten in a somewhat rural school
district.  There are 4 kindergarten classes, each with 22 or 23 children.
In all these classes, there are only 5 to 6 girls and 16 to 17 boys.  I
mentioned this to a friend who has a boy in 1st grade in another local
school district, and she said that the ratio was similar in her son's
class.  Another friend has the same sort of ratio in her daughter's
preschool class.  Is this a local phenomenon, or are you seeing this in
your kid's classes?  What's going on here?  I tried to get birth
statistics from the county health department but they didn't have them.  I
am now waiting on statistics from the NYS Health Department.  At this
point, I view this as a curiosity, but I wonder if we should be getting
alarmed....

Peggy